Friday, April 30, 2010

English or Russian?

After last weeks T&A surgery, Nina came home and had reverted back to how she acted when I had her in Ukraine. The experience was very traumatic for her. yes, I know it is hard for many kids, but we are sensitive to the fact that Nina's past has taught her to fear certain environments or situations. being confined to a bed, attached to monitors is too close to being tied down to a bed, something that she knows. We were supposed to be safe, we were supposed to protect her, and yet we were not doing anything about it. On top of it all, she was in pain. I do wonder if she questioned if we had "punished" her.

Our emergency had me very concerned about what was going to happen with Nina, even if we only had to stay for one night.

Today, as I was getting ready to leave, I had to pack up our stuff and go get the stroller so I asked the nurse to stay with Nina. She was not able to do so, so she got a lady that works at the hospital to come and stay with her while I ran around the hospital getting ready to go.

This lady had an accent. I looked at her name tag. Her name was most definitely Russian.

Although she was not from Russia (and I cannot remember where she was form) she informed me, "Of course I speak Russian!"

I told her Nina was adopted from Ukraine. I did not have to say more, the lady began to speak to Nina in Russian. Nina was too worked up to listen, but eventually, it caught her attention. She looked at me, with big eyes. Slowly she turned to her, stared at her. Then she lifted her hand, pointed her little finger at her and said, "No. Stop."

She turned to me and said. "Mommy, I love you. Family. Mommy, daddy, Ellie, Nichole, Nina."

She tuned to the lady who said something else to her and she repeated, "No. Stop."

I am not sure what this lady said, but she did stop and said to me. "She doesn't like it. Something bad happened to her and she has bad memories. She needs to forget it, don't try to get her to remember. She needs to forget."

The lady spoke to Nina in English and Nina then decided she would paint with her while I was gone. Before I left the room, the lady pressed on. "Remember please, she needs to forget. When she is older, maybe you can teach her, but she does not like it."

I am not sure about this encounter, but I think God had a reason for us to meet this lady.

In the car, on the way home, I got my daughter back.

Somehow hearing this lady speak in her old language reminded her of the love she has now. Of the family that hugs and kisses her. Of the sisters that she enjoys spending time with. She knows she is loved, and it has made a difference.

So God gave Nina a little of His medicine, and reminded her of how loved she is. A God of miracles, and a God that cares deeply about our hurting hearts. He holds Nina close and gently reminds her of His love.

7 comments:

  1. I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face. You know who that lady was? An angel. Sent to your family straight from God. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had chills all over my body while reading this. WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm crying, too! Nina has most certainly bonded with You and feels her place in the family. I wonder if she thought you might be leaving her with this woman? All I know, is that this "woman" was sent to help in the Healing of Nina's little heart and soul. How is Nina doing with her pain? That surgery, the adnoids part, is one of the most painful surgeries a child can have. And, you're right about the whole hospitalization being traumatizing. It's so hard for a little child to understand it all. I do think that any future surgeries (if there are any) will be less traumatic, esp. if they don't ever have to do anything in her throat! Keep us updated on how all of the girls are doing. Hugs! Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. what an amazing story!!! We have only been home 1 month and a friend tried to talk Russian to Gerri and she would have nothing to do with her! She kept looking at me and told the friend to talk to her mama!!
    It is like having an angel help them out of their shell! We see the ortho dr monday and want answers, but am afraid of them too. good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sad! It sure makes you wonder what happened in her past...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ellen, that gave me chills...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can barely see through my tears to type this. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. If you do not subscribe to comments, make sure you check back for my reply to your comment.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails