Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Fiery Troubles of Life

Most of us have heard, "God does not give us more than we can handle." A while ago I learned that this statement is not true (if you thought this is in the Bible, sorry to burst your bubble, the statement is taken out of context!) There are no promises from God that this will be true, and as a matter of fact, if we could handle it on our own, we would not need God. When life is more than I can handle, I do have a promise from the Lord that He will carry me through.

Lately life has been hard. Not just a little hard, but I am emotionally depleted for many reasons. I have many friends going through some very difficult and painful situations as well. In times like this, I have to consciously pause and remind myself that God is in this, and God is good. Even when the world comes crashing down.

The world has little hope to offer, and sometimes what happens in our lives is not easy, it is hard, and we wish we did not have to go through it. Thankfully I do serve a God who is full of love, compassion, and unconditional love.

1 Peter 4:12-13 says,

12 Dear friends, don't be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you. 13 Instead, be very glad -- because these trials will make you partners with Christ in his suffering, and afterward you will have the wonderful joy of sharing his glory when it is displayed to all the world.

You know, the crazy thing is that I am surprised and get hit hard when the fiery trials come! Do you? And I often think of Christ's sufferings mainly those faced at the cross. But He was a man of many sorrows. He understands, even more fully than I do. He feels my pain, He knows it, and He cries tears along with me. But despite the fiery trials there is a promise, a promise of wonderful joy and the sharing his glory. What a promise!

John 16:33 says

I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."

Again a reminder that life will have trials. Life will have sorrows. But I can have peace in Him who has overcome the world.

Just a few days ago a new dear friend of mine (who is adopting Nina’s best friend) shared some of her journey with me. Part of her sharing was Psalm 46. I read this while we were at the hospital. She did not know that I needed to hear this. And how I held on to the verses (which led to this post)

1 God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. 2 So we will not fear, even if earthquakes come and the mountains crumble into the sea. 3 Let the oceans roar and foam. Let the mountains tremble as the waters surge!

4 A river brings joy to the city of our God, the sacred home of the Most High. 5 God himself lives in that city; it cannot be destroyed. God will protect it at the break of day. 6 The nations are in an uproar, and kingdoms crumble! God thunders, and the earth melts! 7 The LORD Almighty is here among us; the God of Israel is our fortress.

8 Come, see the glorious works of the LORD: See how he brings destruction upon the world 9 and causes wars to end throughout the earth. He breaks the bow and snaps the spear in two; he burns the shields with fire. 10 "Be silent, and know that I am God! I will be honored by every nation. I will be honored throughout the world." 11 The LORD Almighty is here among us; the God of Israel is our fortress.

And the Lord almighty was with me. He brought the Russian speaking lady to show me, to show Nina, and our family, that He is ever present in our lives. That His love is abundant and that He never lets go.

You might be going through some fiery troubles of life, but remember to be still, because the Lord almighty is with you, He is your fortress, and He will carry you through.

2 comments:

  1. Actually there is a verse in the Bible like that about God not giving us more than we can bear (Andy will know the reference). But it's in the context of temptation. He won't give us more temptation than we can handle. But you're right, lots of times people take it out of context and try to apply it to trials. Unfortunately, like you said, I think that's his primary way of teaching us, to allow more difficult things in our life than we can handle so we have to rely on Him. Thanks for sharing your journey with us. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this:

    The verse that people have in mind when they say this actually has to do with temptation. Paul is warning the Corinthians against idolatry and immorality like that engaged in by the Israelites in the desert (1 Cor.10:6-11). The actual promise, found in 10:13 is that God will not let us be tempted beyond our ability but will provide a way of escape so that we can withstand the temptation without giving into sin.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. If you do not subscribe to comments, make sure you check back for my reply to your comment.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails