Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Having a Sister With Down Syndrome and one with Cerebral Palsy

Yesterday, Ellie and I were talking about her sisters. It really was not a meaningful conversation, but we were talking about the fact that Nichole has Down syndrome and Nina has Cerebral Palsy.

I often wonder what she thinks. I can tell you that she does not see her sisters as "different," even though she is aware that in some ways they are. Still, I had to ask.

"Sweetie, what does it feel like to have a sister with Down syndrome and a sister with Cerebral Palsy?"

Ellie looked at me and made a face, "What do you mean mom?"

"I don't know, I guess I was just wondering because my sisters did not have Down syndrome or Cerebral Palsy."

"Well mom" she said, "It feels like..normal!"

I smiled.

Normal, it feels like normal. And why wouldn't it feel like normal? They are her sisters, plain and simple. Whatever diagnosis they might have, has nothing to do with their relationship. They just are who they are.

Pretty wise words from a 4 year old.

So for anyone wondering what it is like for Ellie not having "normal" siblings. Well, wouldn't you know it, it makes no difference to her as she will be the first to say, "It feels like normal!"

1 comment:

  1. That's a great answer =). Sounds JUST like a four year old to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. If you do not subscribe to comments, make sure you check back for my reply to your comment.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails