Thursday, May 20, 2010

What Would You Do?

Last night on ABC the show "What Would You Do?" aired a segment that is pretty close to our family. A man with Down syndrome is bagging groceries while a costumer begins to verbally abuse him. Other costumers are watching, they are even being invited into the "conversation." So what did people do? Did people stand up for Josh, the man with Down syndrome? Or did they ignore the comments? Did they look away?



As Nichole's mom, and Nina's mom, this would be one of those times where I would speak up. I think I would be angry, but more than anything I would want them to know, to understand the power of their words. How devastating they are, and how they destroy lives! Not long ago I posted about what these words mean to our family. And I would want them to know that.
(Yes, I might have visions of my fist meeting their nose too, but thankfully I do understand that is not effective advocating...but I can dream!)

At the end of this segment they show a man that works at this grocery store, he does not have Down syndrome but does have an intellectual disability. The pain and sadness in his face and voice broke my heart, because he has experienced this kind of treatment and it hurts him so deeply.

So now it is your turn, tell me, what would you do?


And you can read my previous post on how these powerful words hurt, just click here.

1 comment:

  1. A handshake is a good advocacy action.

    Or a hug.

    Words are good to back them up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. If you do not subscribe to comments, make sure you check back for my reply to your comment.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails