Friday, September 14, 2012

Parents, Keep Your Focus

Once more I am linking up with Gypsy Mama for 5 minute Friday. Where you write for 5 minutes on a topic without editing or rewriting. (So forgive the typos or grammar mishaps).

Theme: Focus

Go!

I get tired and bogged down by the daily chores in my home. The laundry, dishes, groceries, and meals. A constant song of "I want," "I need" "Help me," "Mommy please." In the business of it all, I lose focus of my role as a mom beyond those tasks, and my heart begins to look in other places.

I start to dream about big things outside my home. Maybe writing, maybe a part-time job now that all girls are in school, or maybe a place where I can give myself to and feel useful. In no time, I lose focus, and my enjoyment in life seems to come not from my role as a mom, but by the accomplishments I gain. How many published articles, how many people attend my Zumba class, or how well our ministries at the church are going.

But at the end of my day, when I look at the things that really matter in life, and when I put my priorities into place, nothing is more important than my children. No writing contract, no part-time adventure, and not the success of a children;s ministry. Because at the end of the day, if I have sacrificed my children in order to gain the world, I have lost the most precious treasures entrusted to me.

I would do anything for my children. No sacrifice is too big. Yet I often sacrifice them by giving my time, energy, and affections to my other pursuits. And so today I am reminded of what my husband once said, "You don't want to sacrifice your children on the altar of success."

My girls bring me great joy. I cherish them and delight in them. They give me life, they fill my heart and soul. They are my treasures, and it is my greatest desire to love them well, and be always present and available in their lives.

Parents, let's keep our focus, let's love our children well. Let's not sacrifice them on the altar of success, it isn't worth it.

Stop!

Like this post? Share it with your friends!

5 comments:

  1. this is a great reminder! i am visiting from the 5 minutes for friday link up and i really appreciate what you shared. i can find myself doing the exact same thing... and yet what i what to value most is being a mama to these precious little ones.


    my recent post: inability to focus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by charis!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous9:39 AM

    What a great reminder...I'm in a very similar place. Somewhat restless with wondering what else there might be, yet I am reminded continually that life is my daughter right now, and that's the way it should be. :) Blessings to you and your family! Thanks for stopping by my blog, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the feeling of "what else" sometimes blinds me, but my girls are the most important and my first priority. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. This is a beautiful post. It speaks right to my heart. I love how you said, "You don't want to sacrifice your children on the alter of success." That is so true... I am a new Mom and quite frankly, I feel overwhelmed almost every single day. I work from home, have PPD, and a colicky baby. Life can be very exhausting and downright discouraging at times. However, God is really teaching me about the importance of pouring myself into my daughter and being a good role model for her.

    I actually wrote a little about this at my blog. I’m doing a month long fast from make up. I prayed super hard about what God wanted me to fast from. Then one day as I was applying my makeup in front of my daughter it just came to me. I don’t want her to think that she needs to hide her God-given face. I don’t want her to believe that any amount of concealer or powder will make her more beautiful. What is on the inside is what counts!

    I’d love for you to stop by and tell me your thoughts on the matter!

    http://kaelynnjudd.com/index.php/2012/09/five-minute-friday-focus/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. If you do not subscribe to comments, make sure you check back for my reply to your comment.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails