Saturday, September 8, 2012

Creating Community for Writing/Blogging Moms

Last year, I took a writing class for moms through The Momoir Project. We had readings, on-line discussions, and of course, writing. I loved it.

My favorite part about the class were the writing starts. A short snippet that would plunge us into writing about our mothering experiences. And as much as I enjoyed writing about my happenings as a mother, I found it meaningful to read the beautiful, heartfelt, and honest stories shared by the other moms. Every new story was an invitation to be a part of their story. Their stories challenged me, brought me to tears, or made me laugh out loud. These writing exercises became something I looked forward to.

When the time came for me to have a professional writer website, I knew I would keep a blog there about my mothering experiences (hence: A mom that writes). But I also knew that a blog revolving around my stories would be lacking something, and that something would be the richness of stories that other moms (or bloggers) have to offer. I don't want it to be Ellen's mothering adventures only, I want to create a place rich with our stories. This, this is the heart behind the blog, this is what the writing prompt is all about.

So I am inviting you, my fellow mom, to join me. I want to hear about your mothering stories. I want to know about the hard days, those where you cry many tears because you feel so alone. I want to hear about the days where the laundry is piled high, and there are no socks to wear. I want you to share about the laughter heard around your home, and the life-long lessons you learned because of your children. I want to celebrate with you even the simple milestones that happen in your living room floor as your child takes his first steps. I want to know what it is like to see your daughter all dressed up for prom, or going out on a first date.

Let's share this crazy thing called "motherhood" together. Let's write our stories for ourselves, for our children, and for one another. Let's be a group of mom's that write, and let's do it together. 

Will you join me? 

You don't have to join every week, I know too well how hard it can be to get a blog post up sometimes. Write along when you can, you are always welcome. And if you are a writer/blogger that is not a mom, I think we still have a lot to learn from your stories, so we would love to have you join in too.

I am really looking forward to reading your stories!

Someone suggested I e-mail the writing prompt during the weekend, since that is when they have time to write. I want to make this is easy as I can on you, busy moms, so if you would like to receive the prompt in your inbox every weekend, leave me your e-mail in the form below and you will be all set!

And would you pass this along to your writing/blogging friends? I believe that together, we can create a beautiful community of moms. Okay, now I am really done!

Like this post? Share it with your friends!

1 comment:

  1. Ellen, so glad I found this awesome blog this morning!

    If any moms or grandmothers of disabled/special needs children would live to write for our website we would love to have you!

    Please email me at cpfamilyblog@gmail.com if interested!

    Here is our website Cerebral Palsy Family Network

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. If you do not subscribe to comments, make sure you check back for my reply to your comment.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails