Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Season of Lent


Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
Point out anything in me that offends you,
and lead me along the path of everlasting life.
Psalm 139:23-24


The season of Lent is fast approaching, and I find myself looking inside the deep places of my heart. I am one that is easily carried by the winds of the world, and the business of life blinds me to the cries of my soul. At times, I feel like I am only surviving, rather than thriving. Yet, I know that Jesus offers me a full life. A truth that I do not always live.

The mindless escape offered by this world entices me, and I indulge in it. It leaves me feeling just as empty and as needy as I did before looking for their fake comfort. There is no life found on a television show, a computer screen, or a bag of chips. If anything, these prevent me from being still, and knowing that God is all I need, and deep down, He is all I want.

The season of Lent is to be a season of self-examination, prayer, repentance, and re-commitment. Our sins cost Him death on the cross, they are not to be taken lightly, they are not to be diminished as simple bad habits. Lent can be a meaningful time that leads us to the celebration of Christ's Resurrection at Easter.

I want this season to be a time where God speaks truth into those deep places of my heart. A time where I hear His voice and allow His words to cover my being, to change me. A time where I allow God to search me, to know my heart. A time where I find those things that are offensive to the God that gave me life. I want to be transformed.

Last year, Andy and I celebrated Lent for the first time. It was meaningful. As a matter of fact, I believe that it is something I want to make a part of my life every year. This season has come to have a profound meaning in my heart and relationship with God.

I read my post from last year, and not much has changed on the things that I want to give up in order to create space in my life. So I will not bore you with that "list" on this post (but you will see me posting less often). Rather, I wanted to share my heart with you.

If you celebrate Lent, may this be a time where God speaks to you. If you have any special plans for this time, I would love to hear what those are.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you...what a beautiful and convicting post. I needed to read this tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing how God is working in your life! I have also been reflecting on Lent and Easter and how God might use this time before Easter to work in my life. Much love to you, friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. If you do not subscribe to comments, make sure you check back for my reply to your comment.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails