Saturday, April 14, 2012

Determined to Dance

There are times when I watch something like this and feel overwhelmingly grateful to be a part of the Down syndrome community. It is impossible for me to look at a group of people that sport that extra chromosome and not feel moved by the depth of love and joy that is communicated in their expressions and interactions. My heart feels full and I feel God whisper, "These are the shades of colors I promised you."

Oh sure I am a writer, and I hope to "make it" some day; but do you want to know what my dream job would be?

After all, I am also a dancer...


Determined to Dance is a documentary I will be excited to watch,

A portrait of young dancers with Down syndrome and their families. The video also includes rehearsal footage and actual performances.
Portrait-in-motion of a troupe of young adult dancers with Down syndrome. Led by Kenny,  irrepressible Elvis fan, fanatical storm-chaser/weatherman, wannabe Romeo, and an awesome, dedicated dancer, they prepare tougher pieces for larger audiences, but the number that always has fans on their feet in tears? "There's a place for us...somewhere."

7 comments:

  1. tears just streaming down my face. I cannot wait to see this. My daughter started dance classes in the Fall and has come so far. I will never forget the "big girls" commenting on her beautiful turn out. THEM being envious of her. Some of my favorite photos are of her in dance class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SWEET! Will this be played near you? I am wondering what it would take to have a video night where I live. If you click on the sidebar there is another dance video that is a Spanish dance group. I loved that one too!!! Im sharing it on my blog- hope you dont mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have watched the one from Spain. Actually, there is a movie called "Me Too" or "Yo Tambien" You can get it on Netflix. It is based on the true story of Pablo Pineda, an incredible man with down syndrome (who has 2 college degrees well earned!)The dance company is featured quite a bit during the film. I love it!

      Delete
  3. I also meant to add. My oldest daughter is a dancer and its been a blessing for the studio to start a class for little Grace- its a mommy and me class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really would love to do that. A mommy and me dance class for kids with special needs.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness I was smiling immediately! This is awesome. I know it won't sound weird to you to hear me say that I need to find more people with an extra chromosome to hang around with because their enthusiasm and love is totally infectious! It would certainly beat some of the "typical" people I am around on a daily basis...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you just see them and secretly (okay not that secretly) just want to go dance with them? What a job that would be!

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. If you do not subscribe to comments, make sure you check back for my reply to your comment.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails