Tuesday, September 13, 2011

How Down Syndrome Affects Siblings: A Must Watch!

Have you ever wonder what is the effect that Down syndrome has on siblings? What will their relationship be like? Will they be a burden in the future? Will they wish their brother or sister was "normal"?

I want to share a video with you.

Meet Reagan, a young lady with a powerful message to share...about her brother Russell. I have had the pleasure of meeting Reagan, Russel, and their mom Adrienne. Reagan has always been a remarkable girl. Above average. She simply stands out.

I would recommend you grab a tissue.




And this is not the first time I have shared with you about Reagan and her brother Russel. Over a year ago, I shared an entry she wrote for a scholarship application, "The Effect Down Syndrome Has On Siblings."

I know you are out there, I know you have been given  a diagnosis of Down syndrome and you are not sure how that baby in your womb will  impact your other children. Maybe you have an infant of young child with Down syndrome and find that this is one of your biggest "fears." I know. I felt it too. Sometimes, it is hard to know what Ellie and Nichole's relationship will be like in the future. I don't know the details, but I know it will be good. Our kids with down syndrome...they really impact their siblings...in some incredible, contributing ways.

"Everyone knows he is my inspiration…everything I do, I do it for him…what inspires you?...I would not be who I am today if it weren’t for him…he gives me hope…and he gave my life direction…..I had no idea what I was supposed to do with my life…then I looked to him….then I knew…I feel nothing but gratitude towards him…and love…for giving me that…for giving me direction…I don’t know that he will ever understand how much he means to me…we have a special bond…I just want him to know that he gives me a reason to live…whenever I am going through hard times…I owe my entire reason for being alive to him." Reagan Bievenue

Let Reagan know how her video has impacted you.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Reagan and Russell:

    I thought this movie was

    fantastic
    honest
    respectful
    responsible
    enduring
    and widening

    And these are the words on the Urban Dictionary? And they are top-voted as the definition?

    It was great when I saw Russell and his loving cat at the last 13 seconds of the film.

    The format of post-it notes was very thought-provoking. It helped me process and pay attention. And seeing them in alphabetical order like that.

    May you ever stick to glory.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. If you do not subscribe to comments, make sure you check back for my reply to your comment.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails