Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Oprah Show

October is National Down Syndrome Awareness Month. you might think October is still a ways away, but if you were a TV producer, you are probably looking at what will happen in October.

It is Oprah's last season, and for this reason, the Down syndrome community has come together to flood her inbox asking that she will do a show about Down syndrome.

We are sending submissions and hoping that she will get the message.

Here is my entry,

Almost three years ago, my world was shaken by the birth of my second daughter, Nichole. I knew from the moment I laid eyes on her that she had Down syndrome.

Fear. Tears. Questioning. I wondered if I would ever be able to breathe again, to live life. I felt like I had birthed a broken baby.

At a bookstore I found a book called “Gift: Mother’s Reflect on How Children With Down Syndrome Enrich Their Lives.” The beautiful picture of a baby with Down syndrome was inviting, so I dared open it. I quickly glanced at the foreword and read the first sentence, “Your life will have flashes of color you never knew possible.” I knelt down in the middle of the isle, tears streamed down my face as I held the book tight and close to my heart. All of a sudden, I was flooded with hope. I knew that in those pages I would find truth; the truth about having a baby with Down syndrome. The truth that I wish everyone would know, weather their child has this condition or not.

Because of Nichole, we have embarked in the most life altering journey of our lives. A journey that I would not have willingly chosen, but now that I live it, I would not trade it for anything in the world.

She has taught us more in her lifetime that we have learned from anyone else. She has showed us what love, joy, peace, kindness, and gentleness looks like. To find beauty in places that the world might label as less than perfect. And she opened our eyes to the world of special needs.

Because or Nichole, we adopted a little girl with Cerebral Palsy. When I see them playing together, I am reminded that it was because of Nichole that a once-orphan girl was saved. It was because of Nichole, that our adopted daughter now has a hope and a future.

October is National Down Syndrome Awareness month. Please consider honoring the wonderful individuals with Down syndrome that continue to teach us the mysteries of life that really matter.


And if you want to send your own submission to contribute to this cause, just click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. If you do not subscribe to comments, make sure you check back for my reply to your comment.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails