The best part of the meet up for our family was to have the Loraines come and join us! They adopted a little girl with Down syndrome only 4 months ago. So now, not only are we connected because of Nina's and Oksana's friendship from the orphanage, we are also connected now in the world of Down syndrome. I love it!
They have become like family to us, we love them dearly. And maybe if I keep publicly begging for them to move to out town, they might get tired of me asking and just do it. What do you think Erin?
It is nice to have a friend that you can talk to about adoption, trauma from orphanage (especially since our girls come from the same place), cerebral palsy, Down syndrome, and parenting kids with special needs.
And these are all great reasons why the meet up was so incredible. It truly was amazing for many reasons. So here are my top 10 reasons why I loved the meet up, and maybe next year, if you have a kid with Down syndrome, you can join us at one of our locations!
1. We got to meet several families that have kids with Down syndrome. All in one place!
2. It was awesome to see almond shaped eyes throughout the water park.
3. It was as if we had always known each other. Strangers? Our kids connect us!
4. We could have easily improvised a dance party in the lobby of the hotel while music played in the background. We kind of did, but I think next year we have to make it official.
5. It feels like a family reunion where people are glad to see each other and excited to be together (I guess we are part of the same T21 family after all).
6. It is beautiful to see such a diverse group of people fit so well together. We all come from different backgrounds, have different lifestyles, some of us even different cultures, yet we come together and feel connected to each other.
7. It is nice when we can give hugs freely even as we meet each other. Hand shake? Forget it, give me a hug!
8. There is a misconception that God gives special children to special parents. We are not special. Not at all. However, our children have changes us all. And seriously, there is no greater group of parents out there! You all make my heart overflow with gratitude!
9. Some of these friendships expand beyond the meet up, and suddenly you have friends that walk this same journey you walk and these friendships last a lifetime.
10. We cannot wait for next year!!!
|It is almost impossible to get all kids to look and smile at the same time. Nichole is giving her cheesy smile, but I love these girls together.|
|The rascals, what else is there to say?|
|My rascal, enjoying the water park!|