Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A Year Ago Nina Left Her First Home

A year ago, I walked through the doors of Nina's orphanage, knowing that I would not see that place for a long time. Knowing that Nina would be leaving the only home she had ever known.

One of the workers broke down after lovingly dressing Nina. She quickly exited the room as tears fell down her face. Nina was unaware of what was about to happen. She had no concept of having a mother, and she did not understand what it would mean for me to take her away.
I thanked all the workers for taking care of Nina for three and a half years. I thanked them for what they do for these children. 
We took a picture outside of Nina's home. She was scared, she was nervous. So was I.


The translator and facilitator were with us. Smiling with us, excited to be a part of this day. They too wanted to be remembered on the day that one of the children they helped would be going home to her mama. I am so thankful for all their hard work.

The day was long. Our first night together was a nightmare. She was scared, and she did not understand my funny way of speaking. She cried that night for almost 3 hours. She cried every night.

It has been a year. I would do it again, I would do it all over again. The crying, the screaming, the rejection. All over again. She is my daughter. We have come a long way in our relationship, and we still have a long way to go. But she no longer cries at night, she is no longer scared. She has a family, she has a home.

Here is the post from a year ago.

I leave you with a short video from our first nght. She had had a bath and I had been teaching her how to play with her baby doll (she had no idea what to do with it at first!)




1 comment:

  1. I recognize that doorway! It already seems like a faraway dream. Love to see how far this little girl has come, having a family!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. If you do not subscribe to comments, make sure you check back for my reply to your comment.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails