Thursday, June 25, 2009

Update on Andy's Missions Trip

On Tuesday I got to talk to Andy. He is in Mexico on a Mission Trip. They are working at a Special Needs orphanage and they are loving it!

Andy said every day they have been there has been amazing! All of them have fallen in love with the children at the orphanage, and they cannot stay away from the place. Andy said that at the end of the day, when they have the option to go back "home" to shower and rest for the reminder of the day, all of them choose to go back to the orphanage.

We talked about all the different kids there, and it is no surprise his favorite kids at the orphanage have Down syndrome!

One of my friends on the mission trip is a speech therapist (actually, she is Nichole's ST). She has done an amazing job with the children. Some of them are finally saying words for the very first time. What an amazing thing to witness and be a part of, don't you think? Even being able to teach the workers how to position kids when they feed them is making a huge difference.

So they have loved and loved and loved some more, and their hearts have been touched in a very special way. Somehow, individuals with special needs have a God given ability to inspire love, a love that few people get to experience in their life time. How I wish I was there.

We tried to have me come, but we were not comfortable leaving our girls with other people besides family, a week is just too long for them, especially Nichole. Andy has said to me maybe there was a reason I was supposed to stay. When I talked to him I mentioned I still did not know the reason. He laughed and said he did know the reason, I would want to adopt every single child in the orphanage and bring them home :) I am not sure about that, but even from over here I cannot help but feel my heart wrapped around those little kids, even if I have never met them before.

I will hopefully get to talk to Andy tonight and will update again.

One of my good friends from Mexico is with our group. She is helping them out and is their translator. I have not seen her in 6 years, so I had really hoped to see her again. I also got to talk to her Tuesday, I wish I could see her and give her a hug too.

If you want to see the orphanage where Andy and our church are working, check it out.

Gabriel House

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. If you do not subscribe to comments, make sure you check back for my reply to your comment.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails