Thursday, January 24, 2013

If I Knew Then What I Know Now

At first, having a child with special needs seemed like an impossible and daunting job. Looking back a t the scared mom I was five years ago, I wish I knew then what I know now. If I could go back in time, this is what I would say…


  • Dealing with the diagnosis is one of the hardest parts of the journey. The rest is simply everyday life.
  • Grieving comes in waves. New stages might require new things to grieve. It’s okay, it does not mean you don’t love your child, or that you have not accepted their diagnosis. It is normal to feel this way.
  • Reaching milestones will be an accomplishment of extravagant joy and celebration.
  • Your child will be a child first. Their disability will only be a part of who they are, not what defined them.
  • You will love your child with a fierceness that will surprise you and fuel you every day.
  • Your heart will expand a 1000 times over.
  • Your child will bring you incomparable JOY.
  • You will come to realize how much you needed your child.
  • Thanks to your child, your priorities will change as you understand what really matters in life.
  • It will not always be easy, but it will be good!
  • You can do it, and you will be better than okay.

(This post was first published on ellenstumbo.com)

3 comments:

  1. Perfectly said Ellen. Everything you said is so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfectly said Ellen. Everything you stated is so true. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent. So true. I especially liked #1.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. If you do not subscribe to comments, make sure you check back for my reply to your comment.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails